Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jays New Coaching Staff

First Off

I haven't decided if this will last beyond a first little something to write about...but here we go.  Also, this is my opinion only and counts for little more than simply being my opinion.  Its not about being right.  Hell, I already know I'm 'right', I hardly need affirmation. 

Kidding. 

Mostly.

New Coaching Staff

The incumbents, Dwayne Murphy (hitting coach), Bruce Walton (pitching coach) and Brian Butterfield (fielding & 3rd base coach) are all back.

Murphy is interesting. I'm surprised they kept him. I personally like him, but with Lind, Hill and Snider having bad to mediocre years coupled with the club's reliance on those players as they try to improve - I'm just a bit surprised.  Let's face it, hitting coach roles are what you give your buddy who bought you dinner when you were starving in "A" ball.  If memory serves, Cito was first hired by Bobby Cox more as a favour.  I think there is a lot of that and some succeed and others go away.  Murphy was a .246 hitter in his career.  That DOES NOT mean that he can't coach.  But it DOES mean he couldn't hit.  He was a brilliant outfielder with Oakland winning 6 gold gloves.  I think he has a role, just probably not hitting coach.  I think there was an opportunity to upgrade here, maybe go after someone who's retired in the last few years?  I'm just throwing it out there, but what about Robbie Alomar?  What about Harold Baines?  What about Tim Raines?  What about Tony "flipping" Fernandez????  GRADE:  C-

Walton is a great call. This guy was the Blue Jays bullpen coach from 2002 through to the end of 2009 when he took the pitching coach duties vacated by Brad Arnsberg.  In one year he was able to mold the likes of Brett Cecil, Shaun Marcum, Brandon Morrow, Rickey Romero and Marc Rzepczynski into a competent and at times feared starting staff.  His impact in 2010 can not possibly be overvalued.  Think what you will of Cito Gaston but most agree that his strength was NOT managing a pitching staff.  Walton was close to brilliant.  With Kyle Drabek on the way, David Purcey (hopefully) transitioning to the closer role and Jessey Litsch (hopefully) coming back, Walton's role will be that much more elevated.  What is great news for Walton is that his new Manager has been a successful major league pitching coach for the passed 4 years in Boston.  There is a real opportunity for mentoring here for Walton.  Plus a chance for him to raise himself and his staff to the next level!   GRADE:  A

Butterfield is another surprise for me.  Not that he doesn't deserve the job but that he was retained.  There were a lot of reasons not to keep him.  One reason is that he has been with the club since 2004.  By my count, this is his fourth manager in Toronto.  That alone is unusual.  Secondly, he was a candidate for the 'big job' as manager.  Most people who don't get the big gig bail.  He seems to be really well regarded in the business and I don't think landing another job would be a problem.  I'm surprised he didn't bolt.  Finally, and I'll admit that this is a stretch, but I have a feeling that Butterfield was in the middle of the player 'revolt' at the end of the 2009 season.  I'm not insinuating that he initiated it, but it seems to me that his communication with the players would have provided an opportunity to get in front of this and stop an embarrassing situation from happening.  Speculation on my part and we'll never know for sure if he could have (or did) do anything preventative.  Butterfield is a second generation baseball man and has ties to the Yankees and D-Backs.  Skills aside, his noted rapport with the players makes him a great hire. GRADE: B+
 
The new hires are Pat Hentgen (bullpen coach), Torey Lovullo (1st base coach) and Don Wakamatsu (bench coach).

Pat Hentgen has manager written all over him. My prediction is a year or two in the bullpen, then a year in triple A and he'll be in the show either managing or being a bench coach waiting for the phone to ring.  Anytime I've heard him speak he comes across with a strange combination of calm and passion.  He loves the game like few do.  Usually, even the ones who appreciate it; don't really get it.  He is appreciative, he understands and he communicates that without an ounce of bravado or arrogance.  He's like the opposite of Roger Clemens.  This is not a critical role, but it is a critical hire.  GRADE:  A

Torey Lovullo is a shock. He was Boston's triple A manager last year. The Red Sox have lost their pitching coach and triple A manager to the Jays. That's kinda like outbidding the Yankees for a 16 year old Cuban short stop.  Lovullo is highly regarded as a managing prospect.  This guy only retired after the 2000 season and is known to have interviewed for the Dodgers job in 2006.  Ultimately some guy named Torre was hired.  He was short listed for the Pittsburgh job and is probably thankful at this point that he "lost".  I find it interesting that Farrell, who has not managed a game at any level, has surrounded himself with guys who have successfully managed in the minors and/or are considered managerial prospects.  GRADE:  B+

I love the Wakamatsu hire!  After retiring as a career minor leaguer (18 games in The Show) in 1996, he worked as a minor league coach and manager from 1997 to 2002.  From 2003 to 2006 he was the Texas Rangers bench coach.  Now that's a ride, 1985 - 2002 on minor league money and then flying first class.  Wow.  In 2007 he coached 3rd for Texas, 2008 he was Oakland's bench coach and then in 2009 he took over as manager of the Seattle Mariners.  He was invited as one of the American League coaches for the all-star game in his 1st season.  The Mariners record improved by 24 games under his leadership.  Don't go thinking that Seattle (owned by Nintendo) wanted an Asian face leading the club.  Look at the work this guy has put in.  His dues have been paid IN-FULL!.   In August of this year, in Wakamatsu's second season, he was fired.  He'll be back. He's young, hard working and a great communicator. This hire actually gives me a lot of faith in Farrell because he's not afraid to have a strong leader beside him. The only shame is that he may not make it to spring training because they told him that could interview for any ML managers job. He deserves a better team after Seattle.  Here's an interesting tidbit, he co-managed a minor league team in 1997 with Brian Butterfield.  The guy they replace?  Dwayne Murphy.  GRADE:  A+

And the manager.  John Farrell.  I didn't have a strong opinion at first.  But to be honest, I wasn't thrilled.  On the plus side were that he is under 50.  While ageism isn't a huge issue, I think a guy in his 40's has a marginally better chance of dealing with kids in their 20's than does a 60+ year old.  Just my view.  Also a plus, I love that he came from Boston.  You may have noticed that Boston has been pretty successful for a while.  There is a reason for that.  Yes, they have good players, but they also have good management philosophies and those are portable between organizations.  Also, I have a feeling that GM Alex Anthopoulos already espouses many of those philosophies, so the transition shouldn't be too overwhelming.  Now the negative, and for me its a big one.  Farrell has never managed a game at any level.  The last guy we had in that boat was Buck Martinez.  Anyone remember how that worked out?  Initially I would have rated this a "C" with a 'wait and see' attitude.  However, with all the hires and the overall quality of those hires, I think I'll come off the "C".  Particularly in light of hiring people to (seemingly) compensate for that one weakness mentioned previously.  GRADE:  (but I'm keeping the 'wait' and see attitude)

1 comment:

  1. Good read. I have to say that I think Murphy staying had a lot to do with Bautista hitting 54 HR's. I realize that Hill and Lind had "off" seasons (I'm still hoping that Hill can actually regain his pre-concussion stats) but I'm not sure if that's all on Murphy. I think Lind suffered from not playing everyday.

    Otherwise this was very insightful ...

    ReplyDelete